Sunday, May 17, 2009

Roles of a Lifetime


"Acting is half shame, half glory. Shame at exhibiting yourself, glory when you can forget yourself." -- John Gielgud

My wife had her baby shower today. The nursery is all painted. Now we're just waiting for the little one to officially enter our lives. I'll be taking a break from acting like I did when I started working for DLT Entertainment, and then again when I went for my Master's Degree, and then again when I got married.

I have no regrets about taking a temporary break. But I'll miss acting during my hiatus, so I started thinking about some of the fun roles I've played over the years. Here are some of them, the good, the bad, and yes, even the ugly...

Puck in A Midsummer Night's Dream -- This was the highlight of my college theater days. It was a New World interpretation and my version of Robin Goodfellow was a kick-ass, long-haired, leather-clad troublemaker.

Billy Bibbit in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest -- I wanted to play this role for so long and I'm extremely glad that Red Monkey Theater Group gave me the opportunity. I got so into character that I actually found myself unintentionally stuttering once in a while in real life.

Huey in Italian American Reconciliation -- John Patrick Shanley writes such great characters and this was one of my favorites. I learned so much from this project and I am forever grateful to Center Stage Playhouse and director Donna Bellone for letting me be a part of this great experience.

Alyosha in The Brothers Karamazov -- I actually played this role twice, once in a production in Westechester and again in a revival in Manhattan's historic Mazur Theater. Loved every minute of it!

Frankie Moon in Damaged Goods -- This was such a well-written character by Kevin Clancy. On the surface, he just seemed like a foul-mouthed, wise-cracking tough-guy, but beneath the surface (and I hope I brought it out with my performance) was a sensitive, emotional guy with some interesting subtext.

Howie in Rabbit Hole -- This was the most recent play I did with Center Stage and if it's the last role I perform in a while I couldn't ask for anything better. Special thanks to director Johnny Liszewski for having faith in me to bring this wonderful character to life.

There are so many other roles that meant a lot to me: Grant in Cahoots, Wags in Music from a Sparkling Planet, the characters in the Level 92 Films, the roles in the shows from Darknight Productions, all the silly mimes I've played.

I love the stage so I look forward to more roles in the future. But for now I'm excited to start the greatest role of my life -- being a dad!

No comments: