So my three options right now are: (1) get a non-TiVo brand high-definition DVR for DirecTV, (2) do some research to see if any other cable or satellite provider in my area supports HD TiVo and switch, or (3) wait.
Since I don't want to lose TiVo or DirecTV, I've waiting. And waiting. And waiting.
They keep promising that the TiVo/DirecTV partnership will continue with a great new HD receiver available soon -- but the release date keeps getting pushed back. The frustating thing is that there is no confirmed release date at all! The best they can tell us is that it will happen in the latter half of 2010. Well, we're in the latter half of 2010 and there is no end in sight.
I'm not the only one frustrated -- some have gone to the extreme option of cancelling DirecTV and just using TiVo with digital broadcast TV, but that's obviously not an option I want.
Both TiVo and DirecTV need to work harder to provide their customers with what they want -- and they need to find better ways to communicate updates on when they'll get it.