Saturday, March 2, 2013

Waiting for the Next Evolution in Automobiles

I'm about to head out for my scheduled car inspection. We have smart phones and smart TVs, but when will we finally have fully-realized smart cars on the market?

Manufacturers are already adding built-in GPS devices in automobiles and testing self-parking systems, as well as sensors that will allegedly avoid collisions. I want to see a car like K.I.T.T. from Knight Rider with an artificial intelligence that can engage me in real conversation during long drives. I want a car like the Batmobile that will drive itself to pick me up when I'm stranded somewhere or drive me home when I feel like taking a nap.  I want a car with super cool gadgets like the vehicles driven by James Bond, in case some jerk cuts me off on the highway.

Mainly, I'd like a car smart enough to inspect itself. 

No comments: